HOME | MAIN BOARD | JIM'S BLOG | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | FLAT MODE

not logged in

re: Your heart is tryin' to rock, but it can barely beat at all !

Posted by:
SeeingI 12:37 pm MST 01/30/07
In reply to: re: Your heart is tryin' to rock, but it can barely beat at all ! - Bart 03:42 am MST 01/24/07

Jacobs & Durkee are wonderful songwriters; I adored Bad Attitude and their contributions to Welcome the Neighborhood were the album's highlights. Bring them back! Oddly enough the only track I dislike on Bad Attitude is the title cut.

I especially loved Meat Loaf's versions of "Nowhere Fast" and "Surf's Up." They both had a wonderful bombast to them, even though "Nowhere Fast" was rather techno-sounding. The swoop of his voice as he cries "And your speed is all you'll ever need, all you'll ever need to knooooooow...!" thrilled my teenage heart to no end. Both versions out-perform the originals, IMO, though the tender, mandolin-inflected version of "Surf's Up" will always have a place in my heart.

That said, I thought Bat III was surprisingly good for an album that had no reason for being. In terms of production sound, I liked some aspects of it better than Bat II. Jim does "lush" wonderfully but due to an over-reliance on synthesizers, his "rock" sound is pretty thin. I thought I'd never hear as bone-crunching a sound from a Steinman song as I heard on "Pig" and "If It Ain't Broke." I wish "Life is a Lemon" had sounded more like that! (For the record, my favorite production style of Jim's is Sisters/Pandora era.) Of course, the songs themselves are written in a very good hard-rock style, so it's not all production. It's still down to genius songwriting! Still, I thought Desmond Child was a good interpreter of Steinman's material and a good coach for Meat Loaf's voice. Certainly Meat's never ranted & raved like he does towards the end of "If It Ain't Broke."

As for "Blind As A Bat," it's one of my favorite tracks on the album, though the intro is rather weak. Once the beat picks up, it's killer & really should be a single.

reply |

Previous: re: Your heart is tryin' to rock, but it can barely beat at all ! - Bart 03:42 am MST 01/24/07
Next: First and last post from me - Pray_Lewd 02:10 am MST 01/23/07

Thread:

HOME | MAIN BOARD | JIM'S BLOG | LOG OFF | START A NEW THREAD | EDIT PROFILE | SEARCH | FLAT MODE