HOME | MAIN BOARD | JIM'S BLOG | LOGIN | REGISTER | SEARCH | FLAT MODE

not logged in

Vespers/Angels/Graveyards, what I think

Posted by:
Rakae (andrea@e-c-t.ca) 09:19 am MST 02/08/07

Okay. I’ve got my own visions of Neverland which I’ve never been able to totally separate from your music, or your scripts, so pardon if I missed out something obvious. It’s been a while since I’ve read over Neverland or Dream Engine.

This is what immediately comes to mind when cross referencing Vespers/Angels Arise/Graveyard Shift with Neverland.

I can see the group of lost children ‘chanting’ the Latin and English vespers, and the soprano singling herself out for the solos, getting sucked back into the children, sometimes reluctantly, sometimes willingly, depending on if the context is going with or against the grain of what the children chant. Obviously ‘as the dark entwines with darkness’ is great contrast to the ‘radiance’ of the context as well as the melody. The second soloed part I can see her addressing it to the children. Totally sucked in and not in sight after ‘save us’.

When the piano starts getting rumbling and rough I can see Hook stalk into view and start proclaiming himself as a hero, under the impression he is only good and righteous, as I suppose all villains think they are. Very self martyring sounding… Music sounds heroic though, might confuse audience a bit. A couple questions about context:

Why would Hook be talking about symbolism of graveyard shift? Does his facility only run nocturnally?

Is ‘criminals’ an accusation at lost children?

Hook saying to the memories of innocent destroyed by crime? Might be believable to some audience members not totally with it, either that or a REAL laugh.

Would reference to burying parents be relevant, perhaps could be rewritten?

I might’ve overly taken the song out of context, but I’d be interested to see what you’ve got to say. One last question:

This isn’t the first song you’ve encorporated Latin into as a sort of ‘chant’ (take that word lightly, you make it sound a lot more melodious then real chanting), and Wikipedia says your mother was a Latin teacher. Do you –actually- know Latin? My father’s quite adept and at least in Carpe Noctern he said it was random words taken from the Psalms. Come to think of it, what languages do you know besides English?

~Rakae

reply |

Previous: re: Holding Out For A Hero - Wilbury 06:16 pm MST 02/09/07
Next: re: Vespers/Angels/Graveyards, what I think - Scaramouche 10:04 am MST 02/08/07

Thread:

HOME | MAIN BOARD | JIM'S BLOG | LOG OFF | START A NEW THREAD | EDIT PROFILE | SEARCH | FLAT MODE